Benefits of having a water dispenser or fountain for your dog
The most obvious benefit an automatic water dispenser or fountain can get you is its convenience. You won’t have to constantly refill your dog’s water bowl or check if it needs changing.Best of all, you can leave it for extended periods of time.
Which means you can go to work or do your chores without worrying that your dog might be thirsty or dehydrated. Outdoor water fountains and dispensers are also a great way for your dog to get a drink while they are playing outside.
Moving water also keeps it cooler and more pleasurable for your dog to drink. Some fountains even have filtering systems so your pet will only have the cleanest and freshest water to drink.
Table of Contents
Water Fountain and Dispenser Buying Guide
So, what makes a water dispenser or fountain the right choice for your dog? Here is a list of things you might want to consider when picking one:
Just like how you’ll pick a food or normal water bowl for your dog, the material is an important point to consider as well. There are also a lot of different types in the market for automatic water dispensers, so choosing one might be a bit confusing. Here’s a breakdown of the most common materials used for water dispensers and fountains:
- Stainless Steel: Dispensers using stainless-steel are durable and has less chance of contracting bacteria and germs. But, it might rust over time, though.
- Plastic: Cheaper, lighter, and easy to clean. But there’s a high chance of it harboring bacteria and germs when scratches or cracks form on its surface.
- Ceramic: Has a glaze that makes it smooth and resistant to teeth scratches. Much more resistant against accidental chewing as well. Easy to clean and long lasting. However, it is heavy and should be replaced if chipped, so needs more care when in use.
Design and Capacity
Depending on the breed of your dog or the number of pets you have, capacity will play a big part in your decision-making. Bigger dogs will need more water, as well as having more than one dog. While smaller dogs and fewer dogs will need less. There are products in the market that can hold near to 5 gallons of water.
When it comes to the design, however, it will ultimately fall to what will be the most convenient for you and your dog. Here are some of the most common designs in the market:
- Elevated Bowl: These are designs where the bowl is high from the ground, so your dog’s back is straight and feeling no pressure while drinking.
- Multi-Tier Fountain: If you have pets that don’t have the same height, a multi-tier fountain can accommodate all dogs with varying heights.
- Dispenser Bowls: These are the most common and cheapest form of automatic water dispenser bowls. They are usually connected to a water container and can be electronic or as gravity dispenser.
- Step-On Fountain: Dogs will have a lot of fun using step-on fountains! Their fountains can be triggered through a pedal that dogs can step on for water. These are strictly outdoor use only, if you don’t want any of the mess inside your home.
Dispenser or Fountain?
There are a lot of differences between an automatic dispenser and fountain. But the most recognizable is the noise that they produce. Fountains has a small mechanism and needs electricity to work, while dispensers can be either electronic or gravity dispensers.
Fountains and electronic dispensers will make noise once they are in use. If you don’t mind this noise, then you can enjoy the additional benefits of this type of dispenser which are: filtering system, as well as easy to replace and moving water.
Gravity dispensers work through the laws of physics alone. They need very low maintenance, but once a small accident happens, it will lead to spillage and a very wet floor. They are also easy to cleanand just need a good scrub with soapy water and a rinse to get it back to tiptop shape again.
Size and Location
Water dispensers and fountains for dogs come in a variety of sizes as well. It is closely related to their water capacity. If they have a big water capacity then, a big bowl should be used to get the most out of the volume of water it can provide. However, you should still consider if a big dispenser will fit into your home, so location is a factor as well.
- Small Space, One or More Pets: A multi-tiered fountain is great for these types of spaces that has one or more pets. This ensures that you’d have enough water to give your pets without taking up too much space.
- Big Space, One or More Pets: Small to large sized fountains and dispensers are suitable for these types of spaces. The only thing you’d think about is how many dogs you have, to decide how much water they would need.
- Outdoor Use: There are specific dispensers and fountains suitable for outdoor use. These are suitable for one or more dogs. There are also some that are for indoor use only. So you have to check if the dispenser you want suits the location where you plan put the dispenser.
How is it cleaned
A water dispenser or fountain will have a number of detachable parts that you would be cleaning separately. Fewer parts will be easier to clean like gravity feeders and outdoor fountains with hose attachments.
Electronic fountains are harder to clean out because of the mechanism or pump, water reservoir, and bowl that needs to be removed and cleaned individually.
There are a lot of dishwasher-friendly dispensers in the market though if you prefer hassle-free water dispenser or fountain cleanup.
Water Flow and Filtration
A dog who needs constant hydration is suitable for gravity dispensers that can provide huge water capacities at a time. Here’s why:
- Gravity Dispensers: Can hold a lot of water at a time, so you don’t need to worry about their water being contaminated because it’s not changed often.
- Dispensers with Pumps and Filtration: Perfect for dogs who don’t need that much water, since these features ensure that the water is clean no matter when they decide to drink from it, without changing it often.
The number of dogs you have can also be a deciding factor if you need pumps and filtration on your dispensers. A lot of dogs might mean that they share water, so a filtration system is a benefit. You can also set the flow settings of a dispenser (if included) to fit the rate at which the water is being consumed by your dog.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does it matter how many dogs you have? Yes, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you need more than one dispenser. You might just need a multi-tiered one or if you have enough space, something with a large water capacity.
- What to do with splashy drinkers? There are products in the market that come with their own mat to keep the areas around the dispenser or fountain clean and some even promise to be a spill-proof dispenser bowl.
However, you can always use your own mat – using rug or kitchen towels to soak up any spillage from your dog’s drinking dispenser.
- Can we use the same fountain or dispenser for both puppies and dogs? Yes, but make sure that your puppy can reach the bowl comfortably.
Best Water Dispenser and Fountains for Dogs
Multi-Tier Water Fountain for Different Dog Heights – PetSafe Drinkwell Multi-Tier Water Fountain
A multi-tiered water fountain has a lot of benefits for your dog or dogs. The multi-tier design of the PetSafe Drinkwell makes it suitable for dogs of any size. Big dogs can comfortably bend down to drink from the top tier, lessening the strain on their backs, while the lower tier can be for puppies and small dogs to comfortably drink from.
It has a 100 oz. capacity, which can definitely accommodate more than one pup and has a free-flowing fountain to encourage drinking. The pump of PetSafe Drinkwell’s fountain is quiet and will sound non-threatening to sensitive dogs. It even has a beautiful BPA-free durable plastic construction that has an elegant granite design, perfect for any home.
- Multi-tier fountain for all breeds as well as senior and arthritic dogs
- 100 oz. capacity for all-day drinking for multiple pups
- Free-flowing fountain that keeps water running and encourage dogs to drink
- BPA-free plastic with granite design
- Water filtration keeps flowing water clean
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Although easy to assemble, it has a lot of parts and might confuse first time users
- Follow the instructions meticulously to keep the pump clean and working nicely
Quiet and Cheap Plastic Water Fountain – Mospro Pet Fountain
Mospro’s Pet Fountain is an adorable cube of free-flowing water that produces very quiet noises. This dispenser is perfect for nervous dogs and won’t be an annoyance to the peace of your home. This particular product comes in a white and blue motif, with a fountain shaped like a cute flower. The Mospro Pet Fountain not only keeps your dogs hydrated, it’s also a very nice addition to your home’s décor.
This water fountain has a 2-liter capacity and has a height that is great for big puppies and older dogs. This height is also suitable for senior or older dogs with mobility problems. Mospro’s filtration system promises that its cleaned water can be used up to one month. Making it an ideal dispenser that you can leave at home with your pets. It features several flow settings to fit the rate your dog is drinking.
- Doggie water fountain with adorable cube design and flower-shaped fountain
- Quiet and low power consumption for any home
- Great for nervous dogs and puppies
- Has 3 water flow settings for your puppy
- Has replaceable water filtration system
- Water can be used up to one month, but 2-liter capacity can last up to one week for the average dog
- It has a lot of detachable parts that needs to be cleaned thoroughly
- Assembly and cleanup can be easy but maybe a little confusing for first-timers
Easy to Use Gravity Flow Water Dispenser – Petmate Waterer Water Dispenser
For a very simple and easy to use dispenser that is great for owners who’d like to try if it works for them, then Petmate’s Waterer is the best choice. This is a gravity dispenser that only relies on physics to keep your dog’s water bowl full for a long time.
This dispenser has a water reservoir that can hold up to almost 3 liters. It’s automatic dispensing method prevents the water from overflowing while keeping it full for your beloved pets! It only has 2 parts that you need to clean up once the water has run out. They can be cleaned with soapy water, rinse clean and air dried.
- Easy to use dispenser for beginners and those who want to try out automatic dispensers
- Gravity dispenser that automatically fills up the bowl once used up
- Two parts only for hassle-free cleaning and refill
- Can hold up to almost 3 liters, perfect to leave with your pets for long hours
- Can be hand-washed with soapy water
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Not dishwasher safe, should always be hand-washed
- Might need practice to put on the reservoir without much spillage
Long-Lasting Stainless-Steel Water Dispenser – PetSafe Healthy Pet Water Station
For an incredibly sturdy and long-lasting water dispenser, PetSafe’s Healthy Pet Water Station is a great choice. This water dispenser is made from thick, BPA-free plastic, ensuring long life and durability. It also features a stainless-steel bowl to avoid the collection of bacteria and germs on the surface. They even offer a selection of sizes so you can choose the most appropriate for your household.
The reservoir is shaped like an hourglass to keep it balanced and flat on the floor, so it won’t be knocked over when your pups become too rowdy. Everything is easy to clean through hand wash but the bowl is dishwasher safe for convenience.
- Big and sturdy construction to avoid being knocked over
- Plastic reservoir and stainless-steel water bowl
- Easy to clean; reservoir can be scrubbed and hand-washed while the bowl is dishwasher safe
- Available in a variety of sizes (including large) for specific dog breeds
- Great for multiple doggies to use
- Easy to refill with top opening
- Stainless-steel bowl prevents bacteria and germs from forming on its surface
- It has a water flow control valve
- Leak-proof construction
- Try to get a mat or rug under it if you have a sloppy drinker
- Might need to get used to the flow control valve on the bottom of the reservoir
Best Ceramic Water Fountain Dispenser – IPETTIE Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain
For a beautiful ceramic fountain that can add some class to your home, IPETTIE’s drinking fountain is a great choice! This eco-friendly and non-toxic ceramic fountain is available in a very elegant design.
IPETTIE’s Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain has a filtration system that keeps the water coming from the bowl clean as it goes through the fountain and back to the bowl. This flowing water encourages your dog to drink and also gives the fountain a beautiful appearance.
The pump of this ceramic dispenser is quiet and has low power consumption. The parts are also detachable and can be cleaned by hand.
- Beautiful ceramic water fountain for your classy dog
- Eco-friendly and non-toxic with a smooth, clean surface
- It has a filtration system to keep the water clean and ready to drink
- Low power consumption and has a quiet mechanical pump
- Has removable parts that is easy to clean by hand
- Ceramic fountains are extremely fragile and should be handled with care
- Must be careful when cleaning because of fragile parts
- Might harm the dog if it has cracks or chipped surface
Step-On Water Fountain for Outdoor Use – Trio Outdoor Sprinkler Activated Fountain
For a fun outdoor fountain that your dogs can easily access, here’s Trio Gato’s Outdoor Sprinkler Activated Fountain! This water dispenser has a pedal that triggers the hose and spews out water for your dog to drink.
This entertaining fountain is a great mental exercise for your dogs while keeping them dehydrated at the same time. You don’t even need a water bowl to provide them with clean water to drink. The design of this fountain is made from durable gauge steel that can withstand even the heaviest of paws. It ensures long-lasting use with a leak-proof valve to conserve water.
The Trio Gato Outdoor Sprinkler also comes with a slip-proof pad so you can place it on hard wood, concrete, or grass and keep it in place. It also has an easy-to-assemble design and a hose that you can install to any of your water connections.
- Fun outdoor sprinkler for your active dog
- Has pedal trigger that can be a great mental exercise for your pet
- Has a valve to control water pressure
- Includes a hose for any water connection in your home
- Slip-proof pad to keep it in place
- Might start to rust in different places after long periods of usage
- If you have a chewer, they might try to gnaw on its corners or the fountain itself