Getting home and finding out that your dog has chewed through their dog beds is the least pleasant thing to experience. Not only is it messy, but there’s a risk that your pet might have swallowed some of the materials that make up their bed, which can be potentially dangerous for them.
So a durable, long-lasting, and chew-proof (or scratch-proof) dog bed is the best solution to keep your naughty pups safe until you find a way to get them out of this habit.
Table of Contents
A few reasons why your dog might chew on their bed
If your dog is all alone in a house with no company, toys can only do so much to keep them entertained. They might turn to their dog beds to play with if they get bored of their usual toys.
Separation anxiety can be a bit worrisome if your dog resorts to aggressive behaviors, like chewing or self-harm. Leaving them alone in the house may trigger their anxiety and push them to chew on their bed or other furniture in your home.
Teething can be a painful affair for puppies. They will have unbearable sore gums while teething and they will do everything they can to relieve their pain – mostly by chewing through anything they can hold on to, which will definitely include their dog bed.
If your replacing a dog bed or introducing them to using one, they will naturally be very curious about it. And once they find out that they can sink their teeth into it, your dog might think that it’ll be a fun toy to play with.
Ways to prevent dogs from chewing their bed
Training and Exercise
Here are a few tips to prevent your dog from chewing their bed:
- Boredom-induced chewing can be prevented by keeping a television or radio on while you are away to provide them with distraction and entertainment. Giving them plenty of exercise can also lessen their impulse to chew their dog bed.
- Separation anxiety-induced chewing can be determined by several factors. If they start to chew on their legs or urinating in various places, then they may have some anxiety problems. It’s better to check in with your vet if you suspect your dog of having this condition. Putting them in a crate can also help curb their destructive behavior – but don’t keep them inside with their dog beds, instead have them entertain themselves with toys.
- Curiosity-induced chewing can be easily solved through supervision. Make sure that you are present when they first see the dog bed. You can observe them sniff around the dog bed but give them a warning once they start being a bit aggressive or if they start scratching. Give them a treat once they successfully lay on the bed without any overly-excited behavior.
Keep them entertained with toys
As discussed, dogs who tend to chew on their bed can be adequately distracted by toys. Mentally stimulating toys or durable toys are perfect to keep your dog away from biting their bed.
You can also keep them entertained by getting another dog to be their company while you are gone. Although this is a big step and you must be committed to another pet if you decide to get another one.
Anti-chew sprays are solutions that are completely safe for your dogs to ingest but may not be that tasty for your pup. They have bitter ingredients in the solution that will deter your dog from chewing on furniture and other things that they set their eyes on – like cables, shoes, and their dog bed.
Materials that make a durable and indestructible dog bed
“D” is fabric description (e.g. 300D Polyester or 1680D Nylon) means how thick it was made to be. It stands for “Denier” and is the term used to determine the durability of the fabric, so watch out for this term if you’re considering to purchase a chew-proof dog bed.
Polyester is most commonly used in camping materials and bags, so you know that they are built to last. Along with nylon, polyester is also used to make backpacks for indoor and outdoor use. They come in a variety of thickness, but even the thinnest ones are highly durable and can last years with proper maintenance.
A dog bed with a polyester cover – no matter how thick the fabric can be – will still be durable and can withstand your dog’s scratching and chewing.
Ripstop Ballistic Nylon
The main feature of ripstop ballistic nylon is its weaved property. This weaving technique coupled by extremely durable nylon thread makes the fabric indestructible. Ripstop nylon is often used in heavy-duty equipment, like yacht sails, paragliders, and even firefighter uniforms.
Expect a ripstop ballistic nylon dog bed to be quite expensive, but if you have an aggressive chewer beside you, then purchasing one can be worth its price.
We all know how durable denim can be. We still might have some denim pants that have been in the closet for years that we kind of forgot we have. They are long-lasting fabric that can stand even with minimum effort in maintenance.
The key to the durability of denim is how it is weaved. It applies a “twill weave” technique that reinforces each strand of fabric, making it resistant to scratching or chewing.
Although there are plenty of denim dog beds in the market, a removable cover is much easier to clean up. They are cheaper than other chew-proof dog beds but may not really stand aggressive chewers.
Heavy Duty Vinyl
These are easy to clean materials and are extremely resistant to chewing and scratching. They are also commonly used for elevated dog beds. Not only are they easy to clean, but its chew-proof quality makes it a prime dog bed for indoor and outdoor use. They are great for aggressive chewers or teething puppies.
Vinyl is also waterproof and can be wiped clean with soap and water. But if they got mud tracks on them by your energetic dog, they can be hosed down easily without being damaged.
Other features like elevated beds with chew-proof aluminum frame
Elevated dog beds are usually framed with aluminum metal. This frame prevents your dog from destroying the bed if they decide to chew on it. They are also great for outdoor use, so you can bring this with you on camping or hiking trips.
Best Chew Proof Dog Beds in the Market
Chew Proof and Elevated Dog Bed – K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed
K9 Ballistics provide a lot of chew-proof and chew-resistant dog beds that really work. And one of their best is their Ripstop Ballistics Nylon Elevated Dog Bed. It is made of fabric nylon that can withstand any type of chewing and scratching. Using an aluminum frame, it protects the nylon fabric from getting chewed on by your dog.
This elevated dog bed has materials that can be used indoors or outdoors, making it a great camping bed for your active dog. It is easy to put together and disassemble, so you can carry the pieces separately when you go out.
- Chew-proof dog bed with easy to assemble parts
- Elevated dog bed with ripstop ballistic nylon fabric and durable aluminum frame
- Great for indoor or outdoor use
- Available in a variety of sizes for different breeds
- Can also be an orthopedic dog bed
- Sizes available are also suitable as crate pads
- Company provides 180-day warranty for especially persistent chewers
- Can be a little pricey for some owners
- Assembly might be confusing for first-time users
Durable Orthopedic Dog Bed – PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
For an extremely durable orthopedic dog bed for senior dogs, teething pups, and pets with anxiety, PetFusion’s Ultimate Dog Bed is the answer. This comfy dog bed doesn’t just give you pets the support they need while laying down but it’s also a durable bed that can withstand chewing or scratching. Its cover is made from durable polyester and twill blend, coupled with a relaxing memory foam filling.
The cover is water-resistant as well, making it easy to maintain and clean. It can be removed through a zipper that is ingeniously hidden to keep it away from curious doggies. Older dogs will greatly benefit from the raised bolsters on the sides, where they can rest their heads or feet if they feel like it.
- Chew and scratch resistant polyester/cotton blend cover
- Memory foam dog bed for orthopedic uses
- Great for senior dogs and pets with mobility problems
- Suitable for puppies with teething or anxiety issues
- Removable zipped cover with water-resistant materials
- Raised bolsters for head or feet rests
- Fabric material is not as soft as fleece or cotton dog beds
- Cover might be too thin, so air drying is best after a machine-wash
Durable Denim Dog Bed – DogBed4Less with Durable Denim Cover
Another DogBed4Less products that can’t be chewed up is this Denim-Covered Mattress. Not chew-proof, but the denim cover of this bed makes it extremely chew-resistant. But more than that, this mattress has a waterproof inner lining, so that its memory foam filling won’t be damaged even when spilled with liquid.
This durable dog bed also has a machine-washable cover to make it easy to clean. A strong zipper is hidden on the side of the bed to make it easy to remove, as well as keeping the foam protected from scratching or chewing. The long-lasting denim fabric that this orthopedic dog bed has ensures years of continuous use.
- Durable denim fabric cover for chewers and scratchers
- Waterproof lining to protect interior filling
- Equipped with comfortable memory foam for orthopedic use
- A strong zipper is used to keep the interior safe and also makes it easy to remove from the mattress
- Long-lasting materials for growing dogs
- Can fit inside a crate or onto a crate pad
- Might not stand a chance for very aggressive chewers
- Dogs who are new to denim fabric may take time to get used to it
Extra Durable and Water-Resistant Dog Bed – Majestic Pet Products Bagel Dog Bed
For dogs who love to curl up in their dog beds – but has a tendency to chew and scratch – then this Bagel Dog Bed from Majestic Pet is the perfect choice. Made with 300/600 Denier Polyester fabric, this product is sure to be a chew-resistant dog bed. Its materials are also waterproof, making it a great comfy bed that you can bring along on trips or camping.
The filling for this doughnut bed is made from premium polyester that conforms to your dog’s build, keeping them comfortable but adequately supported. It even has thick bolsters so your dog can rest their head on the side for additional comfort.
- Durable 300/600 Denier Polyester Fabric Cover
- Waterproof, chew- and scratch-resistant dog bed
- Doughnut-shape for dogs who curl up in their sleep
- Great for indoor or outdoor use
- Premium polyester filling for ultimate comfort
- Thick and soft bolsters for head rest
- Although round in shape, its size is still great as a crate pad or mattress
- Polyester fabric cover may be a little rough to the touch
- Won’t fit most washing machines
Elevated and Extremely Durable Vinyl Dog Bed – Kuranda Aluminum Chew-Proof Dog Bed
Another excellent elevated dog bed that is chew-proof and indestructible is Kuranda’s Aluminum dog bed. Its frame is made of lightweight materials, with an aluminum frame that can support up to 250lbs. The heavy-duty vinyl used as a mattress is breathable and comfortable for dogs with mobility problems. It can resist even the most aggressive diggers and chewers – and is a breeze to clean! The smooth surface of the vinyl can be wiped clean or hosed down for a more thorough cleanup.
This waterproof and non-chewable dog bed can also be used outdoors, with its heavy-duty construction.
- Chew and scratch-proof dog bed
- Heavy-duty vinyl mattress with durable aluminum frame
- Elevated dog bed great for outdoor or orthopedic use
- Great for teething pups or dogs who chew or scratch when feeling anxious
- Easy to clean; just wipe down with wet cloth or with a water hose
- Assembly is a bit difficult because aluminum frame makes a very tight fit
- Might get little scratches if your dog is really determined to dig through it